Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lesson Well Learned Again


So let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help.
Hebrews 4:16


I was taught a lesson in accepting grace this morning by Duchess, our dog. As Ron was leaving for work, she rushed passed him and jumped in the car. Coaxing her to come in didn't work. When she got out of the car she ran to the other side of the street, all of this in the dark, fog of a 5:00 a.m. morning. One cannot yell at that hour, though I really wanted to, so I thought enticing her with a treat. After several minutes she was in the house, sitting "pretty" for her treat. I really didn't want to give her the treat because she had been such a pest, but she got the treat non-the-less. In just a few more minutes she would probably do something again that would annoy me, but because she is so cute, she'll get the treat again.

It occurred to me, when I was giving Duchess the treat, that God performs this same ritual with me several times a day! I am given his glorious gift of grace each time I follow his way! And when I "rush pass" him doing my own thing, he is still there coaxing me back with that "treat" called grace. So, even though he probably doesn't want to give me the grace because I don't deserve it, he loves me so much that he bestows it on me anyway. It is comforting to know that God thinks I'm worth coaxing. It is wonderful to know that when I fail, I have been redeemed. So, it is that I am so grateful for the gift of GRACE!

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be go God!!!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thought. Indeed it is so. And we can constantly learn from our pets.;)
    Thank you for your always very kind comments at my place.;)
    xo
    Zuzana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. I often wonder why God is so very patient with me! What a wonderful, thought-provoking and inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful lesson. I've often compared myself with a child, but never a dog. The comparison is apt!

    ReplyDelete

This has become a new adventure. One in which I will try to express my journey with providence.