Thursday, February 18, 2010

God's Providence...

St. Ignatius of Loyola
by Peter Paul Rubens

Today I offer this reflection from Lent and Easter Wisdom from St. Ignatius of Loyola compiled by James L. Connor, SJ

God's Providence in Life Experiences

The Power of Vanity

When the bones knit, one below the knee remained astride another, which caused a shortening of the leg. The bones so raised cause a protuberance that was not pleasant to the sight. The sick man was not able to put up with this, because he had made up his mind to seek his fortune in the world. He...asked the surgeon whether it could not be cut away. They told him that it could be cut away, but that the pain would be greater than all he had already suffered...He determined, nevertheless, to undergo this martyrdom to gratify his own inclination. ~St. Ignatius' Own Story, 8

The Power of Service

"A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the low and well spoken of by all the Jew living there, came to me; and standing beside me, he said, 'Brother Saul, regain your sight!' In that very hour I regained my sight and saw him. Then he said, 'The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear his own voice; for you will be his witness to all the world of what you have seen and heart'" ~Acts 22: 12-15

Prayer

Dear Lord, as I embark on the Lenten and Easter journey, free me from the vanity that imprisoned the your Ignatius Loyola. Fill me with the Holy Spirit that empowered Paul of Tarsus to travel the known world in service of others and call of the Gospel. This I ask in the name of Jesus our Lord. Amen.

Lenten Action

Look for the opportunity through the day to congratulate at least two people for something they have done well. Nothing builds trust and confidence more that affirmation like that.

+
~~+++~~
+
Thanks be to God!


1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I think a good post for me to read.;) I can be a bit vain sometimes.;)
    xo
    Zuzana

    ReplyDelete

This has become a new adventure. One in which I will try to express my journey with providence.