Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lenten Reflection With Herni J. M. Nouwen


I have found each and everyone of these books a treasure in wisdom and enlightenment. Today I offer a reflection from Lent and Easter: Wisdom from Herni J. M. Nouwen compiled by Judy Bauer. I listened to this lesson with great interest and again was nourished by these words.

Sustainment

To take the holy scriptures and read them is the first thing we have to do to open ourselves to God/s call. Reading the scriptures is not as easy as ti seems...We tend to make anything and everything we read subject to analysis and discussion. But the word of God should lead us first of all to contemplation and medication. Instead of taking the words apart, we should bring them together in our innermost being; instead of wondering if we agree or disagree, we should wonder which words are directly spoken to us and connect directly with our personal story. Instead of thinking about the words as potential subjects for an interesting dialogue...we should be willing to let them penetrate into the most hidden corners of our hearts, even to those places where no other word has yet found entrance.

Henri J. M. Nouwen, Reaching Out:
The Three Movements of the Spiritual Life


The authority of the Word

Jesus said to them..."The Fathers loves the Son and show him all that he himself is doing; and he will show him greater works than these, so that you will be astonished. Indeed, just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son give life to whomever he wishes. The Father judges no one but has given all judgement to the Son, So that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my work and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life."
John 5:19-24

Prayer

Steadfast God, grant me the openness to read and accept the words of your holy Scriptures as truth from my inner being, as a springboard for meditation, as urgent messages directed to the hidden places of my heart. Also grant me the willingness to listen and connect with your teachings. Keep me from stumbling over their simplicity. Amen.

Lenten Action

Choose a passage from holy Scripture that is significant to you and memorize it.


Wishing all a day for fruitful reflection on the word of God!

+
~~+++~~
+
Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This has become a new adventure. One in which I will try to express my journey with providence.