Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wisdom from G. K. Chesterton


Today's offering from Lent and Easter: Wisdom from G. K. Chesterton from The Center for the Study of C. S. Lewis and Friends.

Riddles of God

This, I say, is the first fact touching the speech; the fine inspiration by which God comes in at the end, not to answer riddles, but to propound them. The other great fact which, taken together with this one, makes the whole work religious instead of merely philosophical is that other great surprise which makes Job suddenly satisfied with the mere presentation of something impenetrable. Verbally speaking the enigmas of Jehovah seem darker and more desolate that the enigmas of Job; yet Job was comfortless before the speech of Jehovah and is comforted after it. He has been told nothing, but he feels the terrible and tingling atmosphere of something which is too good to be told. The refusal of God to explain His design is itself a burning hinge of His design. The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man.
"Introduction to the Book of Job," G. K. C. as M.C.

Out of the Whirlwind

Then the Lord answered job out of the whirlwind;
"Who is this that darkens counsel by words without
knowledge?
Gird up our loins like a man,
I will question you, and you shall declare to me.

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements--surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone
when the morning starts sang together
and all the heavenly beings shouted for joy?"
Job 38: 1-7

Prayer

God almighty, maker of heaven and earth, have mercy on me for my lack of faith, for too easily grumbling and grousing about your governance of the universe. Something the injustice the cruelty, and the insanity of our world overwhelms me--and I freeze. Grand me an obedient heart more willing to submit to you, more willing to offer myself in significant ways as part of the solution to my own prayers.

Lenten Action

Take a walk or hike today. Try to peer into the depth and intricacy of the created order. Admit in prayer all the things you cannot fathom. Humble yourself, thanking God for the mystery of the universe.

~~~*~~~

I had to read this not once but three times. The lesson here, to me, it not that I should understand but trust. I'm not supposed to get it. I'm supposed to attempt to get it and in so doing I am open to all that is around me in this journey to God. If I don't get what I think I should understand, there is going to be a gift that is offered to me in which something more important is revealed. There are surprises around every corner and "the riddles of God [really] are more satisfying than the solutions of man."

+
~~+~~
+
Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

  1. I like your interpretation. We are not always meant to understand everything. But perhaps gain an insight with time.
    xo
    Zuzana

    ReplyDelete

This has become a new adventure. One in which I will try to express my journey with providence.