Saturday, October 3, 2009

Road to Providence


For the last year I have journeyed with Sister Dorothy, as my companion, on this Road to Providence. It has been a journey of self-awareness, reflection, and spiritual direction. I have found purpose in the time and talent I have been granted on this journey. And so, as I contemplate my commitment to the Sisters of Providence as an Associate and on this feast of their foundress, Saint Mother Theodore Guerin, I am drawn to their Litany of Non-Violence. Pray it with me if you will.

Litany of Non-Violence

Provident God, aware of my own brokenness,
I ask the gift of courage to identify how and where
I am in need of conversion in order to live in
solidarity with all Earth's people.

Deliver me from the violence of superiority and disdain.
Grand me the desire, and the humility, to listen
with special care to those whose experiences
and attitudes are different from my own.

Deliver me from the violence of greed and privilege.
Grant me the desire, and the will, to live simply
so others may have their just share of Earth's resources.

Deliver me from the silence that give consent
to abuse, wars and evil.
Grant me the desire, and the courage, to risk speaking
and acting for the common good.

Deliver me from the violence of irreverence,
exploitation and control.
Grant me the desire, and the strength, to act
responsibly within the cycle of creation.

God of love, mercy and justice,
acknowledging my complicity in those attitudes,
actions and words which perpetuate violence,
I beg the grace of a non-violent heart. Amen

Sisters of Providence
of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This has become a new adventure. One in which I will try to express my journey with providence.