Friday, June 26, 2009

50th Jubilee

True Holiness does not mean a flight from the world;
rather, it lies in the effort
to incarnate the Gospel in everyday life,
in the family, at school and at work,
and in social and political involvement.

Pope John Paul II
Message to Catholic Charismatics, 1996


********
Tomorrow, Sister Dorothy, celebrates her 50th Jubilee as a Sister of Providence. Through the last 35 years I have been blessed by her presence in my life. She is a witness to justice, kindness, love and humility. She is a friend on the journey.

Her journey has taken her to many and different places. But one thing I have come to understand about her is that everyone is a gift of God and all have individual dignity. Each is to be respected because of who created them.

When I first met her and Sister Mary and Sister Gilchrist in Oklahoma she was a member of a missionary group who came to assist the priesst in their work in rural areas. Women of God, all, they impressed me with their holiness.

Sisters Dorothy is a wonderful listener. She is a great spiritual director. She always knows the right questions to ask so that in MY journey I might focus and reflect on what is relevant to me and my life at the present time.

I can only imagine the impact she has on the inmates at the Federal Prison in Terre Haute. In her they have a true advocate. She is concerned about them and rejoices with them in who they are and who they can become.

And so it is with great joy and love I say, "It has been a privilege to be a part of your celebration and I wish you many more years of the compassionate tenderness you offer to those who have been placed in your care."

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This has become a new adventure. One in which I will try to express my journey with providence.